View Single Post
Old 13-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
In our pluralistic society it has become politically incorrect to claim that God has revealed Himself decisively in Jesus. Popularly, all roads lead to Rome, all beliefs are equally valid, and all are heading to the same place. This leaves Christians who claim that their particular belief is the only truth to seem awfully narrow-minded and intolerant.

But to actually be a Christian is unfortunately to declare that Christianity as found in the New Testament is the ONLY true way.

In the Bible, Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father [God] except through me" (John 14:6, NIV). In Acts 4:12, the Apostle Peter said of Jesus, "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

If we are to believe this in this day and age, we are demeaned as being narrow-minded and somehow intellectually inferior, but this seems to be a problem I am stuck with, because I do believe these words, not through faith but through experience. It's a difficult position to defend in this millenium.

No one should care what you believe, but when you interact with others you also need to be mindful that they have the right that you do to believe anything about a diety that they choose and it is rude to chastise them, proselytize to them or in any other way insist that they are wrong. As you expect others to allow you your beliefs whether you think they are the only True way or not, you don't bring it up unless someone asks or you know they are willing to have a peaceful discussion with you. It has nothing to do with political correctness, it has to do with respect. Jesus did not go around proclaiming that every one who did not believe as he did was Wrong, he allowed them to choose. When he made a big deal about something like the money changers in the synagogue it was about respect, not having his way.