View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 01:43 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyawaywithme
So can someone explain to me what Dyana means?
I read that some monks can stop their breathing through meditation and reaching full growth in body, mind, thought, soul. (I think that's what it said) and thus getting to the 4th Dyana

What is a 4th Dyana? Can you tell me why an ordinary person that's not a monk would be able to stop their breathing for days and weeks and not die?

I tried looking it up on Google and could not find a definite answer.

Thank you.
For definition of Dyana or Jhana, you can see wiki, but my definition of dyana or jhana is the level of your awareness/consciousness.
At 4th jhana, you will get abhinna. Abhinna is a special ability such as third eye opened, astral travel,... etc. Buddhism do not teach how to train abinna, because Buddhism is spiritual path, not occult path.
In my opinion, can be said abhinna is one of the obstacles and my people 'stuck' at 4th jhana and can't reach higher jhana(5th jhana). One of the reason is because the attachment on abhinna.
If you start from bottom to top(1st jhana, than 2nd jhana,... etc), you will not so interested with abhinna. But if you skip all of it and direct learn abhinna, you will attached on abhinna.

About stop breathing, no one in this world who own a body in this realm can stop breathing. If you experienced stop breathing in your meditation, examine yourself, are really stop breathing or your breath is very very slow? If you really stop breathing, what is your last breath, inhale or exhale?