View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
I am not a Buddhist.

If we were living in a tribal community from long ago they would have been pushed from a cliff or thrown into peat bogs with their throats slit and I think that is the only cure.

My compassion lies with the victim. A victim of pedophilia should be the last person on earth who would want to do that to a child and repeat the cycle, if they repeat the cycle then they are as bad (if not worse than the original abuser).

I'm unsure what your paragraph about adult women is referring to? There are female pedophiles and they are just as guilty as the men. If you are referring to my comment about women fuelling the problem then in my eyes you are wrong, adults have a responsibility to protect children at all costs.

I'm assuming you have no children, maybe when you do you will feel differently about the subject.

Chrysalis gives a great example of how your idea of protecting pedophiles is not going to work.

There is a mass undercurrent right to reduce the age of consent and we must do all we can to ensure this is never allowed to happen.

I guess that could have sounded like I was saying you were. When I said us i meant us humans who are trying to live in the most conscious way which I think you are trying to do (with limited success lol).

I'm a psychology major and most of my knowledge comes from textbooks. It may seem counter-intuitive but that is how it is. people who were hurt end up hurting other people. The good apple can turn rotten under bad conditions. Yes the good apple turns rotten, but it is still redeemable. If we kill then our hands are bloody.

You can say whatever you want man, you said what you were thinking and I said what I've read in books. The main cause is the experience happening to someone and that person not getting the help they need. Its possible that shaving or not shaving has something to do with it, but maybe it is just a correlation not a causation.

My idea of protecting pedophiles? I guess it comes down to how we see people. I Don't see pedophilia as a death sentence or an inescapable crime, you apparently do, so you will always address them as pedophiles and not capable of any more. I would say something like "they are pedophiles now, so we should take precautionary measures against that, but we should also remember they have the ability to change just like us". I think that is doing right by all people, we protect our self and dont let compassion blind us, but we also don't bloody our hands in the process.

I would prefer exile to imprisonment, so technically what I said was a thought on your proposed hypothetical situation. I would rather not imprison them in the first place but if my position was to imprison them (which for now it is because I'm not in a position to change the penal system) then I would be in favor of separating them. Exile would be similar to letting them sort it out themselves but without imprisoning them first. As long as we don't put them in the worst conditions possible then peace is possible. I can live with that, it would take so much more work but it would be better than what we currently have.

I don't have children of my own but I have children. I want to protect them at all costs but not at the cost of controlling the lives of others. I would rather work harder to protect my children than try to eliminate the problem altogether and have to work less. Plus the problem may be impossible to eliminate, a fools crusade, but working harder to protect my children is possible right now.

We are also discussing hypothetical situations. lets remember that. If push came to shove maybe I would shove a knife in an attacker if I felt threatened enough. Actually I probably would. It's nice and easy to be this way when we don't have adrenaline pumping through us.

Reducing the age of consent isn't going to affect pedophilia... the age of consent may be lowered to like 16 right? Pedophiles are interested in pre-pubescent children, which is like 9 or 10 tops. I don't see how you connect the two.