View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHairedWoman
Exactly! I agree, there is a trend I have noticed since the 70's of marketing that demonizes one substance that we use every day in order to sell a substitute. The problem is, the substitute is not healthy and the original product in moderation is. in the 70's it was sugar, in the 80's it was fat, in the 90's it was carbs, then it was "gluten", etc. Our body needs sugars and fats and carbs as well as protein to function properly. If you don't have enough fat in your diet you can't think properly.

It depends on the sugar substitute. Aspartame was widely used and this has been associated with all sorts of health issues. Stevia is a natural substitute for sugar but if you buy it off the shelf it is worth checking the ingredients.

If you are going to eat sugar then the original product in moderation may be healthiest, but unfortunately the sugar in supermarket products is usually processed sugar - pure, white and deadly. I don't understand why food manufacturers have to add sugar to savoury products, even a loaf of bread. The natural sugar-free alternatives are usually much more expensive, so many people end up buying the cheaper version with sugar.

Peace.