Thread: Sidhe
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Experiencer
Location: Adelaide, Australia - but born and bred in Ireland:)
Ha, my cat is a total softie - she justs likes people to believe that she is evil!!

The name Bean Sidhe translates to fairy (sidhe) woman (bean). She is seen as either an old hag or a young woman, crying, wearing flowing white robes. She is often seen near water, or sometimes appears at the end of ones bed where she sits combing her hair. She offers warnings of danger or predicts the death of one in the family. At the time of the death she can be heard keening.

Although she is a scary figure, she is actually a protecting fairy - she predicts death, she doesn't cause it.

The only encounter I know of in my family was just before my husbands father died - the bean sidhe was seen out side his second storey window, when she was spotted she hurled her comb at the window and dissapeared. There was a scorch mark left where the comb had hit the window frame.
I don't know this to be true, as I didn't know them at the time and the window has since been painted, but the family including my husband, whom I trust, swear its true.