View Single Post
Old 14-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Trieah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultist
I have several times when people jump from buildings others below have yelled Jump! and encouraged the person to do just that. It is a touchy subject I agree. But I still believe we shouldnt encourage people to commit suicide and if you read some of our threads on suicide people have encouraged it.

Fair enough. Though now I wonder which is greater, the amount of times you've seen people encouraging it, or the amount of times you've seen people discouraging it?

To be honest, I've come across more people who actually discourage suicidal tendencies in others, then I have seen people actually encourage it. So perhaps my blindside on this matter is that I don't see this as such an out of control subject as it may sound, since I rarely come across that kind of situation. But, that is not to say that the concerns being brought up are unfounded.

And now, with the added information from Lady Terra, I have to wonder if this "encouragement" isn't just a gross misunderstanding by other people, and the person who actually said such things never intended it to be taken that way. It's not unlike all the other post on this message board where someone asks a question about something they experienced, and gets back a whole slew of diverse opinions from other people who are going by their own personal interpretation of what that other person's experience was.

How many times have we seen people asking questions about the conduct of their spirit guide, only to be told anything between "It's a perfectly legitimate thing for a spirit guide to do" to "It's an outrageous thing for a spirit guide to do, and therefore it must be something evil out to fool you"? How many times have we seen mini arguments pop up over a complete misunderstanding of what someone actually meant, after someone else took offense by assuming the very worst of that person? How does one know for sure that other person only had the best of intentions in mind? How does one convince others that they've only been misunderstood in their meaning? Or how can they even further explain themselves at all if they are instantly banned?

Yes, it is a touchy subject indeed. All of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultist
Trieah: many of the people below who encourage people to jump was joking and giggling they never assume they will perhaps? That still doesnt make it right does it?

You're absolutely right. It doesn't make it right. And those people who encouraged it used very poor judgment. And if that person actually did jump to their death, that's something those who were only joking are going to have to live with. Assuming they were only joking around in the first place, and didn't really want to see someone kill them self. Sadly enough, there really are people so desensitized out in this world who actually enjoy that sort of thing. Does make me wonder just how much they would still enjoy it, if it happened to someone they actually cared about though.