View Single Post
Old 29-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maguru
Hi It's been a while and I had forgotten my point.
Lately I have been thinking that all the spiritual practices and all the spiritual knowledge just serves to make life, and us, more complicated. I haven't come across or experienced it doing anything else. There doesn't appear to be much reality in the teachings and brings no evolution, ascension, enlightenment, awakening or anything else. It's all in the mind.

An individual may feel better and experience positive feelings but they are without substance. They are not connected to real life. They are just beliefs. No harm done but no evolution either.

Coming from personal experience, I believe 'spirituality' works on the same premise as 'religion', in that they steer you away from reality of humanity. They create a dissconnect between the outer and inner self. They block self-wareness of who we have become as human beings. In short it creates a "Spiritual Ego".

For me, spirituality is about uncovering your inner knowing, and inner knowing is beyond the mind, it's intuitive. Beliefs are of the mind, true knowing is of the spirit; quieting the mind in order that you can access your inner knowing is the purpose of practices such as meditation, in my opinion.

That isn't to say that knowledge doesn't have its place - our minds yearn to understand, and until they do understand they'll always be insecure. But knowledge without first-hand experience of that of which knowledge speaks is always abstract, which is why so many religious teachings seem utterly baffling, particularly to the western mindset.