View Single Post
Old 16-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Seeker
Overview of the video and my own opinions

That was video! Thank you for posting it.

I've never read any of Hawking's works but I've grown up knowing him as a genius scientist of our time. As I haven't read his work, I can only base my opinions of his work on the quotations made in the video (which I assume are accurate).

My overview of the video! If you don’t want SPOILERS! then don’t read it

~ No-one be offended by my use of the term Source, please: I'm intending it to mean the Higher Power that anyone believes in (not accounting for multiple-theistic religions, as I don't know how they'd relate to this properly, but feel free to comment and fill me in) and I use it because it means "what caused everything". ~

Stephen Hawking does not seem to understand the concept of The Divine: Source. My impression (from his book quotes and Prof. Lennox’s speech) is that he believes "God" to be the explanation when no scientific explanation can be attributed, and therefore dismisses the possible existence of "God" when science can be used to explain workings of our worlds.
Prof. John Lennox said Hawking concluded that the laws of physics make God unnecessary and referred to Source as “God of the gaps” because it is, apparently, only used to explain what science cannot.

Concise overview:
Mathematics is a method and scientific study is a theory to how the Universe works and came into existence. What maths and science cannot do is CREATE anything: something must USE these methods in order to create something, which is why maths/science cannot replace Source, and more reason why Source cannot be “the God of the gaps”.

My opinions: Aside from his view point as a Christian (which, to me, doesn’t cover the entirety of Source because it refers to a “Him”, implying a male entity rather than an omniscient, omnipresent, All-That-Is), he has an outstanding argument, makes hilarious jokes about why Source is and how our intellectual tools cannot create anything. He demonstrates what the Higher Power is and I agree with what he’s said.

Love and Light

If you're going through hell, keep going..