Thread: Deity Ganesha
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyGodWarrior
I like Ganesha mantra and Krishna mantras... I have never met Ganesha nor talked to him... does this being really look like an elephant?
Ganesha just symbolises an elephant as being a totally grounded force of unstoppable strength (he is also the deity of the Muladhara/Root Chakra).

It is metaphorical, like his vehicle of a mouse. Now, can you imagine an elephant riding a mouse?

Hindu deities ride vehicles corresponding to a human attribute one is trying to overcome. Elephants are 'sposed to be afraid of mice...so an elephant riding a mouse teaches the devotee to overcome fear. His brother, Skanda rides a peacock, teaching the devotee to overcome vanity, his mother rides a tiger/lion, teaching the devotee to overcome pride, his father rides a bull, teaching the devotee to overcome stubborness...but I digress.

There's a story about how Lord Ganesha got his elephant's head if you (or anybody) would like me to relate it, just say "please do'.

For some reason, I'm too busy worshiping his parents to give Ganesha much of a look-in...as fortunate or unfortunate as that may be.