View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 06:58 PM
Master
I feel for both of the folks mentioned above, the man who was blamed and the woman who had multiple husbands treat her poorly, who may have replicated earlier abuse. This is all too common for humanity in general.

She made the mistake IMO of failing to step back and see the near-universality of the problems she was describing.
IMO you need to look beyond the individuals to the cultural script as the root of nearly all problems. Certainly, it's the starting point for contextualising any individual life, as we don't live or exist in isolation.

Then, only then on top of that we have individual variation, where at some point at least some say, no I stand by my own beliefs and I won't follow the script mindlessly...along with the majority of folks who do much less of that and much more of the script-following.

But it's rather pointless IMO to say look what happened to me when it happens to many, or even most or nearly all. And it's also meaningless to say, well it happens to many or most, and then treat it like it's some sort of sacrosanct thing or universal given that can never be addressed or changed.

What we're nearly always talking about then are much more deeply-rooted cultural scripts which folks play out individually. And there are normally many or certainly at least a few key factors at work which normally come into play.

It's not very helpful for folks to point fingers at the individual or at the individual level. Aside from looking in the mirror. It's typically much more insightful to look at the underlying cultural scripts and paradigms at play, IMO.

And it is at least much easier theoretically (& IMO actually) to discuss things from a cultural level -- where everyone can examine for themselves to what extent a given script, worldview, expectations, and assumptions apply.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke