View Single Post
Old 25-05-2018, 03:40 AM
Master
The Seven Laws of Noah

I am not Jewish.

But I am wondering a few things about this.

First a question for those able to answer. These are the seven Jewish laws of Noah, I had been wondering about just whom must adhere to these laws wondering if it is only the Jewish people but the wiki about had answered with since all of humanity descends from Noah, all must adhere.

Here are the laws as stated:

Not to worship idols.
Not to curse God.
To establish courts of justice.
Not to commit murder.
Not to commit adultery or sexual immorality.
Not to steal.
Not to eat flesh torn from a living animal.

I have a few questions.

What actually constitutes worshiping idols? If anyone has read the book of Ezekiel they well know the simple act of lighting incense sends him on a rant and tyrade declaring the Lord told him all whom light and use incense are going to feel the wrath of God.

See. I light incense in my home. Is this idolatry? When I light incense I light it often as an offering to God, is that idolatry? Despite I neither praying to nor worshiping the incense, but rather I am offering the incense to God, while in prayer, sometimes for others, sometimes not, and while I light this incense I worship God. Not the incense.

Does having a mardi-gra mask hung on my wall as a representation of God, count as Idolatry? It represents a view of God. But do I sit and pray to the thing? No.

Is reciting the pledge of allegiance to the flag in school in the west here a form of Idolatry- when you come to the phrase under God, indivisible? Do the Jewish people consider this Idolatry? My opinion on this one in particular myself- is I have always considered this itself idolatry in school because I always "felt" like I was being forced to pray to a flag.

Whereas in the case of my lighting of incense- I am well aware that I am in prayer at these times, to God.

So there is my first question. What actually constitutes idolatry?

Question two is what exactly does "To establish courts of justice mean exactly"?

I'd like to know how many laws I've broken and I can not fully as I do not understand the meaning of this.

Finally is there a way to atone for the breaking of any of these laws? What happens if you don't atone? What happens if you literally can't? Can one be forgiven if some of the laws are broken?

I ask as I've broken four of them that I understand and am aware of.

What happens to someone whom has broken 4 of the laws?

To be clear I am not certain of number one there and number three so I am not clear if I have broken those.

I know I've not broken number 7.

Then what by Jewish law happens to me?