View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 08:21 PM
Master

Open Faced Tacos

As you can probably tell, my son has adapted some of my recipes as vegan. This is the Original Recipe (the vegan alternative is in asterisks)

4 servings

1 Large Can of Chili Beans (heat in the sauce it comes in)
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
10 - 12 squirts of Worchestershire Sauce (vegan brand)
1 pound hamburger, cooked and drained (gimme lean crumbles cooked)
1/2 - 1 Head of Iceburg Lettuce - (wash, let drain, and put back in the frig and when you need to use it, it will be crispy and crunchy) - bite size pieces
2 - 4 tomatoes (depends on if you all like a lot of tomatoes) - diced
1 small to medium onion - diced
1 small bag of Mission Tortilla Chips (the Round kind)
Grated Cheddar Cheese (Daiya Cheddar - grated)

So, start cooking the hamburger in a frying pan, heating the chili beans in a sauce pot and for the sauce, heat the tomato sauce, adding the worchestershire sauce to it, in another sauce pot. While this is all heating up, chop up the rest of the ingredients as noted above.

How to build an Individual Open Face Taco: (the original way)

On a stoneware plate place a layer of chips on the bottom of the plate, making sure none of the chips are facing down
Sprinkle some of the hamburger on the chips
Sprinkle some of the cheese on the hamburger
Put a layer of the chili beans on top of the cheese - this melts the cheese-yum
Put a layer of lettuce on top of the chili beans
Put some tomatoes and onion on top of the lettuce (to taste)
Spoon some of the tomato/worchestershire sauce* on the top. (We call this kidsauce, because it is not in the least spicy, so the kids would eat it

This all turns into a goey melty thing. You can eat it with a fork for awhile, and then eat it with your fingers when you get down to the chips part.

Then you can change it up however you like. If you don't eat cheese, don'd add cheese. If you like sour cream, try a small bite with some veganaise. You could add avocado slices as well.

This is a quick and easy way to make tacos without having to fry any tortillas. You can make it diet friendly by not adding the cheese and watch the portion size. These expand as you build them, so just know that. I like a lot of lettuce and sauce on mine. People then can make it however they like to eat it, let them build their own....