View Single Post
Old 24-04-2018, 07:02 AM
Master
Talking Chickens in every garden... let them take over the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
As for the rest of your comments about your 'ideal' situations, pipe dreams as reminders of tiny agrarian populations that used to be. It ain't gonna happen now. We have 7.6 billion humans who mostly reside in cities and towns and the vast majority of them are not going to be caring for a cow and her multiple calves for all of their lives and the same goes for every other farmed animal. So maybe it's time to just forget about that notion.
''Pipe dreams'' ..? That's not very nice Debrah!

Starting with ''billions'' of this or that makes every ethical stance problematic. Many attempts to create a better world all seem to stumble against that very same wall. But we have to start somewhere, and small! Changing our diets or buying solar panels are some of those small steps..! And maybe we don't all have the time for a cow, but it should be no problem with chickens. Their space requirements aren't huge, their food is cheap, so yes every medium sized garden can have chickens! Slaughter isn't necessary.

Debrah, correct me if I'm wrong but I sense stress from you. You clearly have your heart in the right place but we disagree on specifics, and this seems to cause stress. When it comes to meat and mass dairy production I agree with you. Surely it's more important to realize we agree on the great lines here.. than our disagreement on garden chickens!