View Single Post
Old 28-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Glass named Esther
Hi 7L!

Although the Rashi note mentions that women were more commonly sorcerers than men, it seems strange considering Balaam (a male sorcerer) is focused on in the Torah and I can't think of any females that would be big sorcerers like him (his prophetic abilities were at such a high level like Moses).

I did have another thought: there is extensive mention of idolatry in the Parsha. Since idolatry can be compared to adultery, and sorcery seems to be part of that ball of wax, perhaps there is some additional significance to focus on the "female"? Like Hashem's bride lusting after other "gods"? Possibly this is connected.

I agree that we can tap into divine healing energy provided we become a vessel for G-d's goodness rather than for selfish desires to manipulate nature.

-esther

I think there is definitely a tie-in between idolatry-adultery-female, though I didn't want to go there. The nature of men shouldn't be exploited, and I assume that was done by the less than holy seers of the female persuation. If the cult of Diana or whomever promised daily "prophecies" & free sex on the temple grounds after, I imagine this would tend to corrode the integrity of whatever morality and social institutions you may have as a society. LOL.

Speaking generally, I would say this kind of excess is generally less a temptation for women physically, although exploitation or manipulation of any kind, including emotional manipulation, is a problem if or when persons proclaim a "special" relationship with God that appears to have no other purpose than self-promotion and ego gratification. And without moral fibre, women could be led to take part in the same sort of behaviour as a result of various emotional manipulation. The nature of women also needs to be respected.

This sort of association of "free love", no boundaries, and spiritual practices of questionable origin and motivation other than self-promotion is a predictable outcome of excess or unbalanced chesed. What it means is that abundant love without truth, might, and justice becomes tainted, or corrupted. Lax and indulgent. Unable to set boundaries. Unable to orient and clearly focus on truth and light. Luckily we got a lot of Isaac's genes too. We need to give that man a lot more credit :) It's the metal and the mettle in Jacob's heart.

l'shalom,
7L