View Single Post
Old 16-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Only if predetermination is the paradigm that one embraces, and every spiritual practice does not embrace predetermination. I started a thread on this topic and already a couple of people have alternative points of view, and I am fine with that because I am not posting here to convert others to my point of view. I believe that there is infinite diversity in creation and beyond, and just because I see things one way does not mean that my way is the only way.

The argument against predetermination involves taking responsibility for our own actions, or as many believe "free-will" determines things. I posted what I did in reference to me having seen so many people die in so many different ways. In combat I saw guys shot with high caliber bullets many times, piercing vital organs and they lived, while some other guys were hit by a small piece of shrap mental and died. A guy was leaning againt a long thick plank of wood and a bullet traveled through three planks of that long thick wood, struck the guy and killed him. I have seen people die in the freakiest of ways while others lived after going through the same thing.

My conclusions are just my beliefs, which I try not to impose on others, and my beliefs are not fixed nor static. We do not see life as it is rather we see life as we are, according to our conditioning and how we filter our experiences. Hopefully, we are all evolving and evolution has a way of changing our point of view. Those who commit suicide often have a fixed, unwavering, point of view.
The Sufis have a saying - "All beliefs go to God, but a belief in God is the strongest."

I believe in predetermination because I'd like to think that there is some kind of rhyme and reason for all of this, otherwise what's the point? Is Spiritual development nothing more than a series of serendipitous happenchance? Predetermination also means taking responsibility for what happens in my Life because my Free Will was exercised as Spirit, and that frees me from the victim mentality. Things don't happen TO me they happen BECAUSE of me. It wasn't pure luck that my suicide attempt didn't happen.

The curious thing about Spirituality is that it's based on mentality.