View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
Enjoyed reading what you wrote, 7L, Doing so was a good (mind) 'stretching' exercise (for me).

It took me a while to get a 'feel' for what you regard as beng and so mean when you use the words "equanimity" and "lovingkindness" (which are not the meanings which (immediately) come to (my) mind when I think of and use them). I believe I am beginning to (more clearly) see what you are pointing to now.

I liked and very much related to (what I thought was what you intended to get across by) the analog of the creative 'tension' (for want a black hole's tendency to pulling everything 'in' and 'dissolve' individual 'identities' in its 'core' in the process and the tendency of the universe to expand (more an more) so as to express a greater and greater differential expression ad infinitum.

For what it may be worth, more specifically described 'common' (i.e. generally experienced) examples or instances of what you label "equanimity" and "lovingkindness" would greatly help your getting across you major finger-points, I think. Not that weren't some mentioned in what you wrote, but the more different kinds of examples presented the more 'in depth' perspective others (readers) would get in relation to what you are aiming to 'reveal'. At least, I think and feel that would be true in my case.

Greatly appreciating the perspicacty of your 'synthesis' of different levels or dimensions of the truth pertaining to our One as Many and Many in One Being-n-Doing(s) --

Hey there Davidsun...
I'm glad to help you work in a bit of exercise!
I will, by way of broad description, respond to Molearner's key traits (per Jesus as role model) and divide them up under the classic "column" Kabbalistically, by whether they are traditionally considered primarily to be traits of the right hand (lovingkindness) or traits of the left hand (equanimity). Both are united aspects of authentic love and can never be wholly separated without intrinsically containing the other side of the energetic spectrum. Like Yin and Yang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
blossomingtree,

Thanks.....:) This is a good and relevant observation. Some Orthodox theologians make a distinction of being made in the image of God vs. being made in the likeness of God. Basically they assert that being made in the image of God means that man has the potential to become like God. This means that man has free will, a sense of reason, and a sense of moral responsibility. Actual likeness of God can only be achieved by degrees. They say, for example, that the likeness of Christ consists of truth, meekness, righteousness, humility and love of mankind. These are acquired and developed traits....thus they come by degrees. God became like man through the incarnation while for man to become like God he must access the Holy Spirit. Thus, as you point to, imitation is one thing.......being is another totally different thing.
Molearner...a lovely post as always. I'm going to reference your above list to give examples of these two foundational energies or aspects of authentic love

Lovingkindness: love of humankind, wisdom, gentleness and abnegation (~humility); acceptance and mercy
Equanimity: righteousness, illumination and judgment, strength and self-worth; discernment and severity
Both: Truth (Beauty)

All of these are aspects of One, of authentic love, and of the model Jesus embodied and presents to humanity.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke