View Single Post
Old 29-10-2010, 07:19 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DulcePoetica
Thank you for posting this. You referred to the "traditional correspondences between the chakras and vowel sounds", and I have currently a great deal of curiosity on this very subject. I would like to know the traditional source so I can do some more reading. In particular, I'm intrigued by the musical note association, though the vowel sound interests me as well.

However, there seems to be more than just the pointed-out discrepancy here with regards to the selection of vowel sounds. In particular, the "iy" as in "eye" is a tough one because that sound is created by pairing two separate vowel sounds ah and ee. So maintaining a consistent tone with that would be quite a trick. Not to mention that it seems the transition between vowel sounds in both cases above are incongruous with the rest of the exercise.

Go with me here: The colors, musical tones and even the sequence of awareness associated with the chakras are each progressive in nature. c-d-e-f-g-a-b all follow sequentially, as does red to orange to yellow, etc. I've done some work specifically dealing with enunciation and articulation, so I can see the gaps in the sequence of those vowels. The second string seems closer to a smooth transition between vowel sounds, though I still would argue there is a substantial gap between 6/ee and 7/oo. (ee eh uh oh oo would make more sense for a seamless transition of sounds). It just seems like too big a glitch overlook. Am I missing something here?

I really don't know anything more than I was told and shown by the gentleman devotee of Swara Yoga who taught me the technique, but I can tell you that staying on the same note and toning the vowel sounds in the order given does produce some pretty profound alterations in consciousness and health benefits as well