View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
I realize I should have used a different title,
Maybe I'm narrow minded, but I do feel that a Buddhist is someone who follows the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama Buddha,

From my limited understanding so far I can only see some monks display a measure of understanding and diligence to aspire to walk the noble 8 fold path to completion. Most dabble to some extend in various "sectarian" off shoots which may find a common base with Buddha's teachings, but set another goal than he did when looking for liberation.

As I understand his end goal seems to be nibanna. Not bodhisatva, not pure land, Not Jhanic absorpion for the sake of Jhanic absorption. But a path incorporating behavioral restrictions/renunciation, Concentration practices(incorporating Jhanic absorption) and wisdom or insight in the true nature of consciousness and experience. All three of which are to be cultivated.

With Love

If you feel like that may I suggest a Theravada sect may be best for you. I originally started my Buddhist quest with a Theravada sect of Thai forrest monks.
From what I've read of your writing it seems to me that it may be the best fit for you.