View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
You need to thank that nurse, she sounds like a real diamond
Yes, I did and she's a real diamond alright - in the rough.

Seriously though, I share this tale so it may help others understand things through my own eyes...like how discipline, regularity of practice and personal intent is the most important aspects of the meditation process and of course I knew this, but over 20 years, I let myself totally forget about it.

Meditation itself is a discipline, but to quieten the mind, it needs to know "this is meditation time"...just like after brushing teeth and prayers etc the bodymind knows "oh, I am doing this now - it must mean that it's bed time".

I share these inspirational stories as a living lesson and it's going to take a while for the new neural pathways to be formed, but this is what it's all about.

For a person to meditate for a few hours a week at any time of the night or day and say "I am not getting anywhere" there's a good reason for that.

I also read about people not having time to meditate. They musn't have good time management skills imho.

Set the alarm clock for half an hour before you usually get up and re-arrange those things you do after your evening meal.

If a person is working for 12-14 hours a day or has a very young family, I can understand it fully and this is why, in Hinduism, the texts say that meditation isn't really meant for grihasthas (family people) but for vanaprastha (retired people). It is said that there's too much going on in the life of a householder to quieten the mind...but I digress again.

I just hope my analogies convey purpose and intent more than being just a nice story.

Thank you so much for replying and I thank Gem and PlatitudePluto too. I shall get around to individual acknowledgment soon.