View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Bluegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFE
Susan Blackmore wrote a book about NDEs in which she says that they are just the activity of a dying brain. So yes, she would say that they are the equivalent of dreams- a flood of images and sensations due to brain chemistry.
There is a lot of support with this theory, but it is clearly unproven.

She is a practitioner of Zen, but interesting enough, discounts all things "spiritual". She vehemently denies anything connected with transpersonal psychology, the continuation of experience after death, and even that consciousness itself even exists.

An interesting book is the one by Pim van Lommel, cardiologist. He researched NDEs (his article was published in The Lancet) and changed from skeptic to believer. His book is soon to appear in English I understand and the title I think will be Infinite Consciousness.

One of the things I found interesting to read was that when a person repeatedly, that is with constant attention, focusses on an idea or concept, it brings about a permanent change in the functioning of the brain. Meditation immediately came to mind but also that this would prove why negative thinking is harmful.

Van Lommel thinks that DNA probably plays a central role in the mutual exchange of information between non-local space and the field of resonating and coherent cell structures.