View Single Post
Old 13-02-2018, 02:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering7337
Meditation: we've all heard of it, and many people know its benefits. I personally enjoy simply sitting for a while. The thing is, what am I supposed to be thinking about while I sit? What's the goal? Should I be clearing my mind, being mindful, watching my thoughts, what? What is it that I'm supposed to be trying to achieve from meditating? More importantly, what CAN be done through meditating?

There are thousands of different variations of meditation. Just like you can do 10 different types of pushups, each to build specific parts of the same muscle. Meditation is like that for the mind, each type of meditation builds a desirable aspect of the mind. Some are for clearing the mind of thought, some are for concentrating the mind on one though (much easier in my opinion), some are to conjure a certain feeling (love, peace, etc), the list goes on and on.

With meditation you can do a great number of mystical and amazing things. One of my favorites is a growing sense of mental mastery. One becomes more comfortable in their mind, they understand it better, and through understanding it better can manipulate it better and have it work to their benefit. Like a cowboy learning to ride a wild bull, the mind is like a wild bull and meditation is like learning to ride it.

Two areas of mental mastery I've noticed are a more clear and vivid imagination that is under my control (rather than being the victim of a mind gone wild for 25 years). and better memory.

One thing I'm trying to achieve with my meditation practice is astral projection. I bet within a year or two I'll have it figured out.