View Single Post
Old 13-07-2017, 12:23 AM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
I absolutely do not understand why anyone in this day and age would seriously believe the earth is flat...
Figuring the curvature of the earth....ie..spherical is simple high school level mathematics. .
The few people I've talked to in person who seriously believe this seemed mentally ill. ..
That's a good point. But even high school mathematics quote that the earths curvature is 8 inches per mile squared by the distance. So if the earth is 24,901 miles in circumference the Suez Canal that stretches over 100 miles in length. At the center point of between the Mediterranean and the Red Sea would approximately be 1,666 feet above the points at either end. The Canal has no locks and does not account for any type of curvature. Also when railways were designed, they were not designed to account for the curvature of the earth. The railways are created based on a flat plane for the entirety of its length. Pilots also do not have to account for curvature when flying a plane, most say that the plane does this automatically but the level never seems to change no matter the distance.

It is quite simply natural to knee jerk reaction to anything that challenges your belief. I too made the arguments for a sphere earth and the more I looked into it the more I couldn't prove it was spherical any more than I could prove the earth is flat....but all of my research seems to imply that the earth is a flat plane and not a giant globe rotating at so many miles per hour that the sun is also moving at its own speed rotating in the galaxy at approximately 515,000 mph through space.