View Single Post
Old 27-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Knower
"(Please, what is the term to use, I heard somewhere that Jew was derogatory, but it is still on wikipedia with no mention of it. Please, enlighten me, if you can.)"

The word "Jew" itself is not derogatory, although there are some unpleasant people who deliberately use the word in a derogatory manner.

"That is one thing, I have a biblical name (Rakel) and I'm very dark for ascandinavian."

Jews come in all colors. :)

"But today I was reminded of a man who told me that I was actually jewish; I explained where my mother was from and father and their parents in turn. I would have loved to be jewish, for sure! The welcoming I got was very warm and caring and a little mysterious, also. Anyway, this man insisted, I don't remember his argument. I just was."

Interestingly, I've encountered a number of non-Jewish people of European descent who, having taken the 23andMe or Ancestry DNA tests, discovered that they happen to have a small percentage of DNA in them that comes from the Ashkenazi Jewish population. You might want to consider sending off for a DNA test to find out whether you have a mixed ancestry.

"So, my question is; is this 'a thing' in judaism? Is there some basis in tradition or literature for jewish people being born in non-jewish families, needing to 'find home', or something like that?"

It's not unusual for people to strongly identify with an ethnic or religious group for which they feel an affinity. You could look into the possibility of converting to Judaism. Keep in mind, though, that there are different branches of Judaism, ranging from the ultra conservative to the very liberal – and their requirements for conversion can differ accordingly.