View Single Post
Old 14-07-2014, 12:26 PM
orca

What if it's really more about people having the need to be right, than debating whether something is "truly" right or wrong?

There's a certain egoic satisfaction to declare something is "X", whether that be right, wrong, black, white or whatever. I think there's an accompanying need to declare whether the declaration of X is "subjective" or "objective", for the same reasons of wanting to be right. Whether it is or not may not be provable. But people want a definitive answer. Because, well...., we want a definitive answer. Why? Because it feels better somehow in the mind, I guess.

But it doesn't really help anything. It's not useful. So even if we all agree something is "X", nothing is really solved. Ditto if we say that a pov on something is subjective or objective. Wars continue, as do murders, whether we say they are right or wrong, good or evil.

This doesn't mean we have no opinion on things, or that we sit around and do nothing, like passive vegetables. Of course we stand up for what we believe in. But it is a belief, a pov, a perspective, a perception. And we aren't all going to agree on everything.

What if people can let go of the need to agree on everything, to get everyone to label things as "X", ie good, bad, right or wrong? Things just are. It doesn't mean I don't care. It just means I don't want to go into my head about it and waste energy drawing conclusions of declaring something is "X" as right or wrong for everyone on the whole planet for all time, for every circumstance.

To me, it would be more interesting to see if people can do that. Because that is much more difficult than getting everyone to agree on one perspective or the other, which is usually what killing and wars are about.