View Single Post
Old 27-02-2019, 10:26 PM
Newbie ;)

Lilith is more interesting than she appears on the surface

Lilith is an interesting figure who's story runs deeper than is obvious in my opinion. As the popular version has it, Lilith was Adams first wife, but after Adam tried to dominate her she turned him down and ran away. She was met by 3 angels who told her to come back but when she refused they said would kill 100 of her children as punishment for her disobedience. When she finally did come back, she saw Adam with Eve, and proceeded to go down a demonic path of infanticide and sexual vampirism. Although she spared children if they were over a certain age, if they were circumcised, and strangely enough, if they wore the amulets of any of the angels who threatened her.

That's the story as most know it. But I believe there is more to unpack. Obviously the victim of cruelty I think it runs deeper. Although we don't know whether Adam was like "I kind of want to do it like this." or straight up rapes her I'm prone to believe he rapes her since she is pregnant in the cave she retreats to and refuses to go back. That's one thing.

The other thing that her story is parallel to Lamia's from Greek mythology, "who became a child-eating monster after her children were destroyed by Hera, who learned of her husband Zeus' trysts with her." Hera was often vindictive and spiteful towards the innocent victims of her husbands infidelity, as evident by the way she tried to make Hercules' life a living hell. But it is strange how in both parallel stories, the demonic figures are the victims of cruelty from supposed Divinity.

Another interesting point is that she has connections with serpents (being depicted as a half serpent half human), owls (archetypal symbols of the demonized magick system as well as academia), Hagravens (half bird half women creatures) if I may use Skyrim jargon, etc. While I don't know much about hagravens, I know owls are symbols of wisdom. The fact that she is demonized might be connected with why magick itself was demonized, mainly by the early Christian/Catholic churches who hold the Adam and Eve story as it is, but the fact that owls represent wisdom, to me, denotes that there is wisdom to be found in the Lilith spirit. As if her character possesses some sort of hidden meaning beneath all of this, which contrasts her demoniac depictions.

There is also Isiah 34, which talks about her finding a restful home in nature but being given to bestiality by God. (I'm not one to demonize God. I don't consider cruel depictions of God to represent the truth of God, but I am curious as to what is behind the many cruel depictions of God)

Now I believe that cruelty can turn people into monsters, which may be true in her case, but I also see something unseen in the midst of this lesson. I'm curious if anyone more well versed in her scarcely documented existence can shed light on this.