Thread: tree growing
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 AM
Master
Question

Oh this thread on trees. I love them and help plant saplings when I can. My first tree is a blue spruce I got in grade 1 and it's fully mature growing on mom's front yard with other trees. She has so many, it's hard to see her house from the street. She also has more in her back yard.

As for me, I live in the country and our acreage is a mix of trees and open areas where the horses roam. We planted trees by the pens, by the house and in the shelter belts (wind breaks) on the west side of the ditch and on the north side of the garden. We also planted various shrubs. The garden now has fruit trees. When we moved in, we saw open areas to plant trees and shrubs. So far, there's still some open areas by the pens which need trees.

Since we needed so many, people gave us seedling trees that were either started by seeds or cuttings. When we want a specific tree, then we buy young ones as they're the easiest to handle and transplant.

The free ones are blue spruce, white spruce, oak, birch, Dutch elm, Chinese elm, lilac, pussy willow, maple, cotoneaster shrubs, an alder, a forsythia, potentila shrubs, aspen, cedar, juniper, caragana, a spirea, and pine. I hope I got them all.

The ones we bought are a purple leaf birch named Purple Rain, a golden willow, a Russian willow, more lilacs, a Japanese tree lilac, a Diablo Nine Bark shrub, various fruit trees, elders, special poplars, a honeysuckle bush, a mugo pine, a Chinese flowering plum, and red pine.

We started planting the trees and shrubs the following spring after we moved in and still planting them.

What came with the house, a flowering crab apple tree, a huge lilac bush, mature spruces, willows and poplar.

That pretty much sums up how much I like trees and shrubs even to the point of stringing lights on some of them.

"But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:

Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee."
Job 12: 7 and 8 (KJV)