View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Master
Opposite of Midas touch?

In my spare time, I'm writing some short stories. They're set in modern times and in 'the real world' of nature, worklife, friendships, lovelife, adventures, quandries, etc. I want to bring in the occasional reference to our heritage of folk wisdom, legend, mythology and such.

We all, probably, know the legend or folktale of King Midas and his ability to turn things into gold with his touch. Does anyone know of a folktale of someone whose touch, unfortunately, turned things to mud, cracked pottery, or something on the other end of the scale?

Also, I think we all have heard the story of the boy who alarmed or warned his village by 'crying wolf!', with the boy then losing his credibility - but is there a corresponding tale of someone who announces gold (or "money tree" etc) or some other presence of beauty, ease, wealth, only for the people to find the announcement was baseless? (Maybe the correspondence is indicated in the expression "pie in the sky" - but is that the only one? is there a better one?)

Thanks to anyone who helps me with these.