Thread: Who meditates?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Master
Back in the early 1970’s a lot of gurus and meditation teachers came primarily from Asia and India to Europe, America (North, Central, & South), Australia and elsewhere, to offer free meditation techniques to those willing, in most cases, to become that teachers devotee. This is what was going on in the U.S. all through the 1970’s.

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (Ohso) and Swami Sat Chit Ananda were among them, later came Chogyam Trumpa Rimpoche and Ram Dass, who was once a Harvard University Professor. Dr. Elizabeth Kubler-Ross began her studies on death and dying back in 1969 and developed her work during the 1970’s. Lots of current day spiritual teachers came into the public eye back then also, i.e. Deepak Chopra, Marianne Williamson, etc.

I am blessed to have lived in those times and received meditation techniques free of charge from a very knowledgeable and compassionate teacher, and to have been able to spend a lot of time in the physical presence of that teacher, he has since moved on, but what I think really enhanced by meditation experience were things like darshan. Lots of people who have received darshan do not talk about it, or feel it is too sacred to talk about. For those who do not know what darshan is, it is a deeper presence of the pure primordial removed from name and form.

It can not be described. It is transmitted from one who has advanced on the deepest of paths; opening to their deeper being, beyond emotions and thoughts, allowing that formlessness to come through and be felt by others. People and environments can be instantly transformed with darshan. This is a very poor description. I have received a lot of darshan and it is my experience that it also enhances your meditation experience. There was a lot of darshan being handed out all through the 1970’s in spite of the riots, war, and protests that were taking place during that time.

Meditating in a group with others who are mediating can also help to build your meditation experience. Early on I experimented to see what kind of beginner’s in meditation lifestyle would feel right for me; I found meditating just as I woke up from sleep, a nap, etc., very helpful; going into meditation before my mind kicked in. I also dabbled in pyramid energy and meditated in a large pyramid for a while which was built over my bed. A very interesting experience.

So remember, this is a journey not a goal, and your practice will change as your experience develops. Just don’t let your head talk you out of the most incredibly awesome awestruck experience which is deep within your heart; at the core of your own being far removed from the physical. I follow no religion but do drink from a lot of them. I try to blend the western alchemy of the Kabbalah with the ancient eastern practices of yoga and meditation.