View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn
I found this link on my Facebook page and I found it very interesting. Number 3 sure applies to sites like Spiritual Forums. Thought I would share it with you all. The link contains product for sale but its under Boom Social if you wish to go find it.

3. Claiming other people’s content as your own

Any time you use someone else’s content without attribution – images, quotes, or original ideas – you run some pretty serious risks. Remember that copyright infringement is a serious offence that can lead to legal action, and that can do serious damage to your brand. While you may get away with it in the short term, it’s just not worth it!

While I completely appreciate where you are coming from Lynn and agree citing other's work is the right thing to do. Social Media Rule #3 is wishful internet group think and propaganda. On forums like this or other social media outlets like facebook, the information you submit is no longer yours (sort of like how when you throw trash in a public receptacle, you relinquish ownership of said trash). It is not reasonable or prudent to expect your creative words to be protected when you freely posted it to the public domain. In short - an end user should always recognize that any information you submit to the public domain - digital or otherwise IS NOT usually protected by intellectual property law in a court of law because you knowingly placed it in the "Public Domain aka a public web server or trash recepticle in the case of trash". spiritualforums.com is by reasonable definition "Public Domain" .

Even news agencies with a team of lawyers have a hard time enforcing copyright law when they push news articles to the web.

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview...omain/welcome/

http://www.theguardian.com/media-net...lity-copyright

A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has not overcome them.

-- Carl Jung