View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 12:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
The mind works through images in order for me, or anyone, to find some sot of correlation with whatever it may be. So, without an image of some kind, would any of this make any sense or even be noticed?

What is religion or religious? Is it within the symbols, icons, theology, ect.? Or is it more of a faith/belief based created practice? Perhaps a combination?
What I am getting at is there is not a whole lot of difference between religion and spirituality, they both seem to run in similar fashion.

I think spiritual life is essentially not an identity in that it pertains to universal truths such as awareness, that pertain to all people regardless of their religion.

Quote:
Truth seems something one may find with in oneself. For me, also what may change with in my mind according to what may be learned and understood at present. Yes, the Universe will do what it will regardless of what I may think or even "know".

There are so many practices out there, that I feel can not assume for all as to what may be true or not. Does a ritual really bring spirits/ancestors to aid in a hunt?(for example)

It is probably does.

Quote:
Rituals can bring focus to an intended goal. Whether it be to give thanks or to bring focus to the mind. Which yes can relate that these can be religious in their own way. So without them what do you have?

I have rituals to elicit certain psychological states, and assist in consistency, but just for mundane activity such as lifting weights, and I don't give them any importance.

Quote:
Will just add, I do see the communal benefits that can be form with some religious gatherings and worship.

Sure, there is a lot of research that shows tremendous social benefits, but it does tend to be quite exclusive on the condition of conformed belief. I used to volunteer at a homeless kitchen run by a church, and the people there just assumed I was a Christian, so I didn't say otherwise nor talk about spiritual things. When I meditated in ashrams I became deeply involved with the sangha, but I had my own ways, which I didn't talk about. This meant I wasn't actually a part of the respective groups simply because I didn't revere their iconic figures or ascribe to their teachings in any blind faith. At the church, the pastor asked me what denomination I belong to, and I said I was baptised Anglican, but I'm not a practicing Christian (which is true), and he said, it's OK because I am baptised I am accepted into the kingdom of Christ.

In my kingdom, it's different because it's more like, everyone breathes, everyone thinks, everyone is aware, and we all have our own outlandish beliefs.