View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Master
Compassion and lovingkindness... It's hard to go wrong with these... It's very true that a kind word on a hard day can make all the difference to a person. Likewise a cruel word on an otherwise bright day will be remembered for a long time.

I think the point that was made about tolerance and acceptance of other viewpoints being very important is a good one. It's not easy when the viewpoints others espouse say that you yourself say as a woman or perhaps as a minority etc are viewed as less worthy than they themselves are, yet nonetheless, we lose something if we curtail free expression too greatly. Many times in the past I have said well let's just agree to disagree and thank you for the courteous exchange .

I have to say, I have always felt here that our very British long-standing cultural mandate to be courteous and kind (and not snarky) at all times, no matter how difficult, is quite frankly a very pure and unadorned expression of love and often of forgiveness ( for all manner of vile things said to us) for the stranger or the neighbour. I realise this is common to many cultures worldwide traditionally, and I think the reasons are the same.

Very nice thread Lynn and thank you for starting it.
Peace & blessings,
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke