View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
you have repeatedly mixed up buddhism and hindu religion.

Not at all :) I show what they have in common but don't mix them up.

Quote:
Like ignorant sheep, yes. They don't know how to know for oneself but follow the herd of believers. That is the audience the Kalama sutta is aimed at.
If you are advocating blind faith then you are actually off topic in this thread. Why? Because the topic is how to come to validly know for oneself and a generally valid template for coming to validly know for oneself has been provided. So there is nothing more to discuss. Either you apply the template or you don't.

The sutra is how can you tell a real teacher from a fake one. They then go on to follow the Buddhas teachings.. Not sheep at all.. wise.

Quote:

How does one validly know such 'super powers' of another?

One cannot validly know such things at all. Why? Because one cannot know qualities that are not directly perceptible. Again you are advocating mere belief. you are off topic!

Ahh, you experience them and how they impact the quality of your life.

Pretty easy tbh.

Quote:
yes, that is exactly what I am saying: do not accept any teacher but take authentic buddhist texts and apply rational analysis. This complies with what the budddha is telling audiences other than the Kalamas:

The Buddha has said many times, rational analysis will get you no where.

Quote:
No, I rely on directly perceptible authentic buddhist texts and authentic buddhist rational analysis that is defined in directly perceptible authentic buddhist texts. My knowledge is valid.
you however rely on belief that is not valid knowledge.

Mine is more from that Direct Perception type thing.. You don't practice anything and so it is all thoughts, more thoughts, lost in thoughts.. The path is beyond them.

Quote:
Sorry but again you are off topic. The direct perception I am referring to is the direct perception as expounded by master Dharmakirti. It is one of two valid cognitions, the second valid cognition is inference.

So you dismiss Mahayana and only want to use sutras from the Pali Canon but want to use a teacher Dharmakirti and his methods, who is from Tibet which you dismiss...

Quote:
Dharmakirti is credited with building upon the work of Dignāga, the pioneer of Buddhist logic, and Dharmakirti has ever since been influential in the Buddhist tradition.[5] His theories became normative in Tibet and are studied to this day as a part of the basic monastic curriculum

Sounds like you really don't know what you are going on about.