View Single Post
Old 28-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Master

Depression is a result of a chemical unbalance within the brain, so I'm told. When I was young (many years ago) I was prone to depression. Deep bouts of boundless depression. It could last weeks.

I remember what my Grandmother told me when I was 17 years old. She said depression is like a disease, and you have to fight it all your life. So that's just what I did. I fought it. I got busy. I joined clubs, discovered new friends, forcing myself to be a active participant in life rather than taking a back seat. It took my mind off of me. That's what depression is: focusing on YOU.

Distract yourself by doing for others. And keep doing that. Eventually the chemical imbalance will correct itself, at least it did for me. And I no longer have these terrible dark bouts of depression.

When you become depressed, don't just pull the covers over you head and surrender, fight it with everything you've got. You don't have to be a victim to depression. You have a choice.

What invisible force doens't want you to enjoy life? YOU! Because old patterns are more comfortable than the new, the scary, with unknown consequence.

Start a journal. A I'm Going to Get Better journal. Write everything you do focusing on making yourself better (eating better, working out). And on what you are doing for others rather than focusing on yourself. Learn to be your own best advocate. No one is going to pat you on the back with an "Atta girl". So in your journal YOU do it for yourself. Become your own best friend. This person inside of you itching to get out.

I've given this advice before and never get response back because, I believe, it means they have to DO something rather than just take a pill or see a therapist. Because all of this takes discipline and a strong will to keep going even when you don't feel like it.

And I do understand if you are not at a point where you can take this advice. Timing is also everything.