View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Lorelyen

Though I currently have a bf I feel destined to be alone. It doesn’t worry me now but how these things may change over time I can’t tell. Until college I’d worry about “being left on the shelf”; but now I don’t see it that way. I'm too much of a free spirit.

I’ve always been independent – thank my early years for that – am self-employed and have a few real friends, happy to be dissolved in a sea of faces at times, others in the intimacy of those friends, others just being alone. How I’ll become late in life I don’t know. I look at elderly couples who have gone through love and life, worked through their differences and got so used to each other that they’re inseperable, at peace with each other. I sometimes wish I'll one day be among them...saddening to think one reaches old age companionless but....we'll have to see how things pan out.

I came to realise that we all stand alone anyway despite pumping so much into romance and relationships and mutual love – yes we can have these things but we cannot enter each others’ beings. There’ll be a few here dispute that but it’s how it is. We are alone. Nature wants us to mate. Around that we've built all kinds of rituals and behaviours to convince ourselves that we become some deeper part of another's being.