View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 07:37 AM
Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammyoho
Hi all,
I'm interested in discussing the concept of mental illness in spiritual terms. It seems the past few years have been strange for me. I've had periods of darkness, depression, despair, and overall hopelessness followed by periods of bliss, energy, oneness, and love.
In the medical field, this would most likely be diagnosed as bipolar. I, however, do not feel that I am mentally ill.
I believe everyone goes through these phases in life and do not feel that medication would solve these cycles. I know I get depressed when I stop caring about what I eat, when I stop meditating, when I let negative thoughts spin in cycles instead of calming them down with kinder thoughts.

What are your thoughts about this? Have you had similar experiences?

Mental health disorders are usually very common responses to life at a more extreme end of the scale.

So if you read up on 'symptoms' of mental health disorders, then most people have most disorders. So yes you are right that everyone goes through these stages in life, but I feel that you are mistaken to believe that if most people went to a qualified person they would be diagnosed with bipolar and given medication (except perhaps in a corrupt system where money is involved).

If you don't feel that you are mentally ill, then you quite likely aren't. Have you had an experience when you have sought medical help and been diagnosed with an illness?

But having said all this, my personal feelings are that many people that don't have any illness, but find themselves repeating unpleasant psychological or behavioural patterns, could benefit from therapies.