View Single Post
Old 30-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie
It’s OK to pick whatever deities from different belief systems that you want to incorporate into your personal beliefs. Combining beliefs from different belief systems can result in a strong rich nuanced belief system. No individual belief system really gets all of it right, even though some have tidbits of it right, so it is really necessary to use ideas from many belief systems. One can develop their own beliefs that are outside on any belief systems as well.

Don’t be concerned if it meets w/ others’ approval, just focus on if it feels right for you.
I don't know if I agree with the whole "no individual belief system gets it right". But I do agree, a well done form of eclectic/syncretic spirituality can be very rich and personally meaningful - even so, it can be a haphazard mix of conflicting ideas that have no tying together, and are only there because of religious fetishism (thatlookscoolimustbelieveinit syndrome ). The issue of cultural appropriation can be a concern as well if one is interested in aboriginal and first nation religions, so one has to be sensitive and aware of what they're doing.

And of course, no one needs any one's approval, but taking advice from others can help make one's religious practice more fulfilling.