View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEN34
Hi,

Lately I'm more and more interested in looking into Buddhism. I'm not trying to run before I can walk and suggesting I'm going to convert, but I have a feeling internally to research it.

I'm a complete and utter newbie. I have always naturally meditated using a 'no mind' style if you will, observing thoughts, and I am a really keen practitioner of utilising this approach throughout the day no matter where I am - always remaining as present as possible and observing thoughts that come and go without clutching on to them.

I have read some of the works of Nisargadatta Maharaj and Ramana Maharashi and really enjoy and try to adapt their approach, to give you an idea of the way I function. This has all been done naturally without a purposeful aim towards Buddhism, but a real interest has a hold on me to investigate the faith in more detail.

Where do I start? Seriously? Is there a good book to read that covers the basic fundamentals?

Is it best to start by learning the basic terminology and their meanings, like Arhat, Bodhisattva, Dharma etc then move towards reading about the schools?

So many questions!

All advice and help appreciated, thank you

I like you have taken more of an interest of Buddhism these days. Actually I have previously had an interest years ago but have had interests in many different faiths and have practiced and learned of others first, and now have come back around.

What I find interesting that you have said is where you say you have practiced a natural form of Buddhist meditation, and have practiced in your own way, sort of intuitively.

I have experienced something similar that I haven't recognized until I read on what interests me, which is Japanese Zen.

I have been practicing sitting meditation for years not knowing where my form of meditation came from, or what it was called. I knew it was a Buddhist form, only because of the way Buddhists describe how they meditate, but did not know exactly which form.

That isn't all, while researching my most recent interest- Japanese Zen, I came upon information of this Altar placed within Japanese homes, called Butsudan. I read about it as I found it very interesting. Then I got curious to see what a Butsudan looks like so I googled images of it. It looks like the way I have my own Altar set up. I have had this Altar set up for a while for the form of paganism I practice. It is a furniture piece with a cabinet with glass doors atop and set to the far back of the furniture piece table top space. The altar I have been using already looks exactly the way a Butsudan is set up within the home, except it isn't a Butsudan itself- genuine Butsudans are incredibly expensive.

What I suggest is you consider the suggestions already offered here, but also if you see a book you find interest in on Buddhism and it calls to you specifically, do not be afraid to answer the call.

Also wanted to state I feel what you have been doing already is also fine, research what you have interest in learning.

I do not see a wrong or right way of learning, speaking personally here.

I have not asked for book suggestions for myself, as I am already reading what I have interest in, or close to it. I am reading a book/text called Shobogenzo.

All my best to you.

Blessings and luck.