View Single Post
Old 25-11-2010, 04:25 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
LFH - I once watched my ex. treat an old Labrador for arthritis in the paws. Obviously not a cure but that old dog gave her a good lick afterwards.

My dog had been mis-diagnosed by two separate allopathic vets with a disease for which there is no treatment or hope of recovery. It's called spinal myolopathy, and is a degenerative nerve disease of the spinal cord. Because of that, she went four ... nearly five! ... years without treatment for the ACTUAL condition she had, which was severe arthritis! By the time I found the vet I use now... the one with credentials in both allopathic veterinary medicine and animal acupuncture... her condition had advanced beyond the capacity for ordinary treatment to provide any relief or even slow the progression down. So the vet used acupuncture instead, coming out to my home to administer it to avoid stressing the animal physically and mentally with the trip to the vet hospital. The treatments gave her much comfort and increased mobility, and as a result of them, she received the gift of another year of quality life, and we the gift of having her sweet and happy presence in our home, hearts and lives. The vet said (and I know it's true!) that had she been able to start treatment sooner... say when the disease first began, rather than four to five years into it!... she would have been able to slow the progress WAY down and give her several more years of quality life. As it was, she was able to increase her life expectancy by a full year, and believe me, as much as I love my animals, another 12 months of having her in my life and interacting with and giving and receiving love to and from her was well worth the cost of the treatments. When it came time to let her go, this same vet came to my home to gently and respectfully usher her out of her body, with me holding and soothing her the entire time. It was a real blessing to have this woman's assistance (my vet is female), and I thank God for her every day. We now have a young and healthy (EXTREMELY active!) 15 month old boxer/terrier mix we adopted from a shelter at the age of 2 months, and she is a patient of the same vet