View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat
I would change the locks . Make sure its not a mec. problem with the locks . Depending on the doors and locks , most are not that hard to change .
Thanks for the reply, desert rat. I, too, look for simplest and most ordinary explanations first. But...

Actually, I may not have been clear in writing my OP, but only one of the incidents involved the lock. Most involved the door simply opening itself, when we were sure we'd shut it.

The door has an ordinary knob mechanism with a spring-loaded "latch bolt" with an angled end, so that the latch slides into place when the door is pushed into shut position. We are careful to push the door well-shut in winter, as this is Canada and it's cold outside.

But the keyed lock is a completely separate unit, inset into the door about half a foot above the knob mechanism. The lock is brought into action by either turning a small knob from inside the building, or by using a key from the outside — and either of these very deliberate ways moves the "deadbolt" into the strike & mortise in the door frame.

The lock had not been used by us for over a week before the "self locking" incident, as we had no reason to use it.