View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 02:47 AM
Knower
Signed Up to Volunteer!

My social anxiety really hinders a lot of my growth, as well as my childhood conditioning...

There are many people my age, and even younger (like 12!) who volunteer, walk around on their own outside, and do many independent things, while I am 23 yrs. old who gets nervous to order french fries at a fast food joint or make small talk with a cashier (or anyone!) . I also believe that this fear has been passed down from my mom because she gets scared and nervous pretty easily too...

Anyways, I just signed up to volunteer with my little sisters! I know I'm not volunteering by myself, but I'm taking little steps, and this is one small step. Before doing things independently, I think I need to find out who I am, find good support and reassurance, find things i love to do, and build up my conversational skills.

This is a BIG step for me. Something like this is almost foreign to me so it's scary... I've always been in a bubble, so hopefully one day I'll be able to break out of that bubble and participate more in the world with great assurance in who I am!

I hope it goes well!!