View Single Post
Old 28-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Knower

I personally expect that consciousness cannot normally sustain itself without the physical human being. That isn't to say the energy or material of it is destroyed, but the pattern that made the person we know and possibly love, is lost irrevocably.

I've often used the metaphor of a droplet of rain hitting the ocean to illustrate this.

I've seen plenty of good arguments for our universe and experiential consciousness to be one continuous process, and I've done plenty of things with that idea. But I've never personally witnessed or seen described any scenario in which the consciousness must necessarily be eternal, or even any evidence that it's likely.

Put another way, I rather expect that nirvana is the default death. It doesn't even need to be pursued. You get pulled apart, perhaps instantly, or perhaps over a long period of time, by the same waters that birthed you. Dust to dust, and all that. It's that way with the body, why would it be any different for the psyche, particularly when we have reams of evidence that suggest that you can alter, subdue, or even destroy consciousness by tampering with the human brain?

Mind you, that doesn't mean things will change. But that's certainly what I see as the likely limit for human beings today.