View Single Post
Old 27-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Seeker

Thank you for clarifying dry needling. It is such an issue within the acupuncture circles of how its taking away from our practice. but now I can actually understand it. Acupuncture / Chinese medicine has many different types of combinations of modalities which are very effective. Unfortuantely every doctor of acupuncture goes through different types of education and the interpretation of treatment varies dependent on the doctor.

However, I know acupuncture also is an intuitive based medicine stemming from taoist times combined with alchemy, herbs. I know some chinese who are medical intuitives but they cultivate their own qi/energy to help the patient .

I have a friend who is a physical therapist and an acupuncturist actually . He doesn't do any dry needling . Acupuncture combined with cupping has been very effective for my patients as well . its the same effect as dry needling.

As the CJ82sky mentioned - the muscle is blood stagnation when there is pain. Putting a needle into that muscle is basically breaking up the lactic acid in that muscle . The PT as you described basically massages and moves the area further. Fire Cupping does the same thing but gets more deeper into the muscle and really helps the removes the blood stagnation. Thats why the bruises appear but its not real hematomas actually.

But the beauty of acupuncture though that it is also preventive of injury also . dry needling is helping acute pain whereas acupuncture can also prevent the chronic pain . There are studies now that shows acupuncture can release about 50x more endorphins than pain meds .