View Single Post
Old 25-09-2011, 08:11 PM
mattie

Definite Change In Tone Of Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire7
... I didn't graduate from HS but I took a short (take-home) course that allowed me to get a HS certificate (and even walk in a graduation), but I never did get my GED, ... I plan on going back in January (2012) to get it, and I'm determined to complete it this time, once and for all. ... So I'm now seriously contemplating joining the Nay Reserves (first finishing the prep classes and GED at the same time, then taking the ASVAB once my scores come back). I'm actually pretty set on it. I'm just hoping things will turn out the way I am planning them.

The difference in your comments in this reply from others you've made previously is marked. You’ll find out that once you stop buying into others’ energy about what you can’t do that you will be able to progress steadily & very satisfactorily, finding out that you are unlimited w/ what you CAN do. You can begin studying right now in the areas you know you that need attention even if the class doesn’t start until January. Some various information is below. Some adults are starting out being completely illiterate which obviously isn’t your case as you’re able to post this & actually write well. Appreciate that you’re FAR ahead of them. Do whatever you have to do to get educated including spending time at the library.

Your idea about joining the Navy Reserves is very good. This is goal oriented thinking. Now DADT is officially history. Virtually all towns have military recruitment offices. If not, I bet they have a 1-800 #. You might want to consult w/ them about their requirements to see if your current HS certificate is adequate. They might have some recommended adult education classes if a GED is needed. Have you ever thought about getting in the military full time? If you get in the reserves can you upgrade to full time military? They may be tossing out more inducements than you might imagine. If you haven’t investigated what full time military service would involve & what benefits one gets, find out. Even if this isn’t the option you want, finding out can arm you w/ information that can be useful to know so you can have options. A complete change in environment might be very beneficial for you.

Continue w/ this new mindset. Begin to immediately work towards your goals. Don’t let any hiccups in your plan throw you. Shift from hoping you do it to beginning to DOING it. One deliberate step at a time. You can do this & soooooo much more.

‘There are a variety of ways for GED candidates to begin preparing for the GED tests. Taking a GED practice test is the best way, but there are others, too. Candidates are encouraged to contact adult education resource centers in their area. Adult education resource centers can refer candidates to preparation classes, adult education programs, or community college programs. To locate adult education centers, candidates can go to America's Literacy Directory online or the National Institute for Literacy.’
http://www.gedprepinfo.com/ged-prepare-for.htm

http://literacydirectory.org/

There seem to be allot of free resources online to prepare for the GED.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8