Thread: Crows
View Single Post
Old 20-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
Yes sometimes Crows take what they can to eat. It seems very sad that sometimes they will take small birds or fledglings, or eat other birds' eggs.
But then....many humans also eat birds' eggs. And buy chicken wrapped in plastic in shops.

My Crow has been eating roadkill recently. A poor Squirrel who didn't make it back from foraging in the orchard, but was hit by a car.

He came down for his sandwich this morning. He is not scared at all of me, which I find charming....but he is scared of laundry hanging on the washing-line! He seems to accept that I wear different colours on different days and sometimes stripes.... I imagined that might freak him out but it doesn't.

He follows me when I go out sometimes, stopping only at the boundaries of his territory and waiting for me to return! Today we came across each other when I took a last walk in the orchard. I sat in the grass, and he walked up towards me making beak-clicks. When I laughed, he flew into an apple tree and broke off tiny sticks almost....I think? ...playfully?
Then our ways parted -his to eat snails.
Mine to go home and cook dinner.

I remember seeing a magpie take a chick that was the last one coming out of a nest whilst mum sat on the fence waiting for it to fly to her and was literally heartbroken for her when the magpie swooped in and took it. It's just the way it is, it taught me something valuable at the time and I don't dislike the magpies because of it. I still love all birds in their own right but yes it is sad.

I love that you're getting beak-clicks, sounds like your part of its family now Beautiful experience and very humbling!