View Single Post
Old 19-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Seeker

The All vs the self

I hope I'm not the only one who's gotten tired of the term "higher self" or any phrase reinforcing the importance of the mythical pure ego. To me I think the Hermetic philosophers hit the nail on the head when they coined the term "the All" to describe not only G-d beyond us but also G-d who works through us and within us at the same time! Usually I refer to my "super ego" or "higher self" etc. simply as "my all". It came to me when I was watching an episode of America's Got Talent a few years ago. The contestants kept using the phrase along the lines of "I gave it my all" or "don't worry so long as you give it your all, you did your best" and so on. So for the last few years I've used the terms "my all" "your all" "their all" "our all" to describe what it's like living a post ego existence. I really like the term "my all" because it encapsulates perfectly and simultaneously the importance and movement of your life, your relationships, and your world. Beginning with the heart space all the way to your over soul. No part of you in the phrase "my all" even if it's above your immediate perception is expendable. Nor is any part of your environment expendable in the phrase "my all" because your environment is indeed a sign of your life. And the phrase also reminds us that YOU are as much part of the world of others as they are to you.