View Single Post
Old 20-07-2014, 01:25 AM
Running Zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleWalker
Could you share what was going on for you--in your life--in the summer of 2008? That might be a big clue.

Lora

I think the one time I mentioned this stuff to somebody on a different forum quite a while ago, they suggested that my parents' divorce could have had something to do with it, even though that happened in January 2008 and not Summer.

There wasn't really anything important happening in my life at the time that I can recall. Even though I didn't have an interest in spiritual stuff back then (even now, I don't really know much), I didn't think there was something going on that made me react poorly or with some kind of stress-induced symptom. I kept wondering why I felt so sick and in pain all the time because it seemed like nothing made me feel bad.

Near the end of June, which was when I was finishing grade 9, I felt little moments of anxiety that were different from what I had had in the past. Before this, I would only get scared for the first day of school or when I got nauseous. Eating meals as a kid always brought out anxiety in me, which brought on horrible gag/retch filled panic attacks and/or long periods of hating food and happened often enough to likely stunt my growth. (my Dad is 5'9-5'10, I'm 5'7) Anyways, aside from specific events that set me off, anxiety over nothing was new to me. At first, it wasn't so bad because the only feeling I got was an odd shaking in my body and wasn't anywhere near bad enough to make me freak out. I attributed this to being worried about P.E. because it was the one class where none of my friends were in, and I suck at sports.

Except for that one class, I really liked school and pretty much always have liked it besides being scared for the first day back from any kind of vacation, so I wasn't thrilled for Summer. I think it was the last day of school, I began to get a gagging feeling any time I ate. Eating in general was a little difficult and I didn't want to do it, although this sensation wasn't new to me and it seems to pop up every year or two. This quickly turned into loathing eating and feeling sick whenever I did (or didn't, there was no relief). I developed the same weak stomach feeling I have now, and it lasted for several weeks or possibly months, and I repeatedly sat outside in the sun eating yogurt, which made me feel only slightly better.

Around the end of July, I was going out to buy a new guitar for school (music class), and the store was about 30 minutes away. I was in the backseat reading a magazine, about 5 minutes into the trip before I was stricken with the worst weak stomach feeling I've ever had; it was like I had no midsection at all, and the "heart attack" sensation people have when having extreme panic attacks. I hadn't really had one before that wasn't linked to being afraid of throwing up, so I was freaking out and begging my Mom to pull over but she wouldn't, which has always annoyed the **** out of me because for years my Mom constantly undermined how bad I feel and thought I'm exaggerating or making it up. The panic attack lasted pretty much the whole trip there and the whole trip back, where I took my sweatshirt off and buried my face in it so I didn't have to look out the window. Long story short, that caused an intense fear of being in vehicles for years that has only calmed down since May after having treatments with something called Brainwave Optimization. It's not completely gone and I'm still nervous, but the days of being on constant alert when going 5 minutes away are finally gone.

After that big panic attack happened, I mostly confined myself to home for Summer (similar case for years afterwards, too) with the exception of a few trips around town, which still terrified me. A few weeks after that, I went to bed one night in early-mid August and woke up after a couple hours hyperventilating. It had nothing to do with a bad dream, I just couldn't breathe. I spent several hours rolling around in bed, gasping for air until I eventually fell asleep and woke up in the morning feeling the same. This caused many freakouts over the coming weeks, as I couldn't breathe, was petrified to leave the house, felt nauseated all the time, and didn't want to eat. A chiropractor later told me that my breathing trouble was likely due to wearing a heavy backpack for the previous school year instead of using a locker, which compressed my spine. Makes sense, although I don't know why it popped up like 6 weeks after I was done school and hadn't carried a backpack since that time. I think I only made it through two or three appointments before I had a panic attack in front of him due to my stomach feeling really weak and it wouldn't allow me to lay still. I can breathe fine now, although minor problems appear every so often and my back always needs cracking due to being so tight.

Overall, it seemed like a ton of random occurrences based off of nothing (except for the breathing problems) coming together and making me feel awful. Most of what I described carried on well into the new school year, which was the worst year I've ever had due to trying to stifle panic attacks every single day until I'd had enough and chose to finish high school online at home rather than deal with anxiety in front of so many people all the time. The only other thing that I can remember is becoming really sick/anxious about the orthodontist appointments I had, as I had braces at the time. (from November 2007 to February 2010) I've always been afraid of dental appointments, but it flared up a lot that Summer and I had a few panic attacks in front of the staff over the years due to my gag reflex and the Summer '08 anxiety taking over my life. I have had common nausea since around 2006, but after that Summer, it definitely got much worse.

Quite a lot of personal information to divulge on here, especially in a thread about nausea, but I hope it's detailed enough for somebody to make sense of it because the whole thing seems pretty random to me.