View Single Post
Old 19-06-2017, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator
Green Tree, I feel for you.
But your insight was spot on. That's what it was -insight. You had the intelligence and presence of mind to understand that inflammatory reactions like that can lead us into serious trouble with people who are intolerant of them. You were right.
I am sorry that happened to this guy. But you warned him. He was not possessed of the sort of self control where he could do anthing about his nature, even if your words touched an essential part of him. I guess he had to carry on 'being himself' to the end.

You certainly didn't do him any harm -okay?

This reminds me of something which happened when I was 17. Our family dog was ripped apart right in front of my eyes by a bull terrier belonging to a woman who lived down our road. She usually kept the dog chained up at the back, but he got loose that day.
Our dog passed away.
The next day, unknown to my parents, I went round to see the woman. I told her what had happened, and she did not seem to really care. I then told her that if something happened to one of her dear ones -then she would surely understand.
The following year her young boy was playing outside their house and was killed by a car coming around a bend.
This event upset me terribly. I believed myself partly to blame, and that I should not have said what I had said. But I clearly recall not saying it in any form of ill-will, but just as a comment to her about empathy.