View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 07:40 AM
Master
Humans are social animals as well as tool makers. Civilization and development of countries are a logical outcome of such. Civilization offered surplus of food and free time to explore other things instead of hunting and gathering. I do not believe we should idolize hunter gathering, although on the positive side they had far less environmental impact.

You mention small communities as a solution but I'm afraid the population is too large for that and our system depends on urbanization. With this population size any attempt to decentralize and de-urbanize would simply mean urbanization elsewhere. In my own country a move towards what you want would simply mean an expansion of suburbs.

What we need IMO is a more sustainable civilization that doesn't pamper to the ideal that billions of people should live like royalty. That's not an ideological statement but a matter of facts. This world does not provide the resources for all of its people to live a modern lifestyle. It's a recipe for disaster. We need realism to enter back into the discussion about humanity, not modern ideology that sounds good and 'compassionate' but only wreaks more havoc in the long run.