View Single Post
Old 17-08-2011, 03:01 AM
IndigoBeta

hello olaf!

Thanks for your reply.
I am not a practitioner but I have been reading about Falun Gong with interest lately and am interested in trying it at home.

Specifically I have been reading 'Falun Gong' by LI HONGZHI, which is the material available on the main website. I have some questions about the nature of Falun Gong principles.

In it, the writer speaks of Attachment and its relation to Cultivation.
By Cultivation I assume we mean a loss of the ego, (the loss = gain principle) an improvement of the consciousness and self, and general achievement of a free and clear and virtuous state of mind, or something to that effect.

I was wondering to what degree our every day hobbies bring attachment, and to what degree these things may inhibit our Cultivation.

For example, if I study a language and review/study daily to improve my language skills, and if this is something I do not to show off or use wickedly but because I enjoy it, and the daily review provides structure and progress, rather than studying here and there, whenever I feel like it, loosely, etc., is this attachment? I fear it may be, for there are days when if I do not study I feel uneasy.

The same goes for exercise, I enjoy exercise and exercise three times weekly. To some degree I do enjoy the benefit of a fit body but mostly I do it for health and not looks. Again, if I do not exercise I feel uneasy sometimes, that I am slacking or becoming weak. I feel it is necessary to maintain a strong, vital body, almost a responsibility.

In my mind this is training of the mind and body for basically personal and non-greedy purposes. In your opinion are things like this Attachments and will they hinder Cultivation?

Also, is practicing Falun alone possible, or should I practice with others? Unfortunately it is difficult to find practitioners in my area.

Thank you for your time.