View Single Post
Old 27-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Arrow DNA > RNA > Proteins---i.e. Genetic Dogma

Ok 7L, glad we are clear. Yes Interesting indeed but so incredibly complex...overwhelming. Here is a piece of my last post that I wanted restate but have not yet research more on.

..."On a microscopic level, plants and fungi both have cell walls, a feature that metazoan (animal) cells lack."...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

DNA > RNA > Protein is the genetic dogma

...."The sequence of bases that make up DNA encode a corresponding sequence of amino acids which make up proteins.

.... Molecular biologists had at first assumed that in a gene, all the DNA coding for a protein would be continuous, and that is what they found when they first looked at the genes of prokaryotes (bacteria and other simple cells). Hi I'm a simple cell

...When researchers looked at more complex (eukaryotic) cells, -- hi I'm a more complex cell ----however, they found that the encoding DNA is typically discontinuous: stretches of encoding DNA (called exons) are interspersed with long stretches of non-encoding DNA (called introns).

..After the DNA is transcribed into a string of RNA--but before the RNA is translated into protein--the introns are edited out. --- No I dont want to edited out

.. Although introns have sometimes been loosely called "junk DNA," the fact that they are so common and have been preserved during evolution leads many researchers to believe that they serve some function.

http://www.pnas.org/content/99/25/16128.long
..Introns are prevalent in the complex eukaryotes but rare in the simple ones.

..Introns can be acquired by or eliminated from a gene during evolution, but what is the balance?

An introns-late view argues that introns arise as “selfish” elements that play no constructive role in evolution.

In this view, introns existed before any eukaryote–prokaryote divergence, and since that time, the prokaryotic lineage completely lost its introns, whereas they were retained in the eukaryotes"...

Sorry, I know I've gone a little off topic, just this thread got me reinterested in genetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
Hahaha! Ok, we're clear
Very interesting stuff...as long as we're not eating an actual human relative...but this info may upset some vegans.
Then again, perhaps this closer relationship also explains the somewhat "meatier" texture of the mushroom
The physical realm is quite odd and yet in its own way a perfect emanation or manifestation of the non-physical realm.

7L

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman